Thursday, August 25, 2011

a few more words on food

i know i know i know, it's a baby blog. but i have had a ton of questions since posting last week about food. and this is actually very relavent to my baby since i am doing it for her and to be more healthy as her mama.

"the cleanse": mostly, i have had questions about my cleanse and what i am doing. yesterday made five weeks on the cleanse. wild. it also marked a loss of 20lbs. holy crap, no wonder my pants are hanging. the soul purpose of the cleanse was to get my body and mind off sugar. it was a two week cleanse but i felt so amazing once being on it for two weeks that i have extended it and am five weeks in. i also extended because i truly believe that it takes 28 days to make and/or break a habit. and sugar is my nasty habit. i am now past the 28 day mark but i am going to keep going because I FEEL GREAT!!!

what is "the cleanse?": again, it was designed to get my butt off sugar. i noted last week that i have been trying to be really good about eating whole foods. well, now i am a whole food fanatic. for me, the first big thing for the cleanse was to eat whole. no more fake food!!! 100% out of my diet. i was never really into artificial sweetners but i certainly enjoyed the zip of a Diet Coke now and again. no more fake meats. they're just government regulated soy anyhow. if you ask me, these soy products are the next corn. no more low fat or reduced calorie anything. it's all crap. it's all fake food. so that was my first big change. only whole only whole only whole. but, again, the main reason i cleansed was to get off the sugar. so i cut everything with sugar in it. no breads, no wine (ah!), no honey, none of that. i also cut fruits as they are sweet and i wanted to make sure that my body wasn't thinking that i was eating sugar. basically - i am eating vegetables, proteins, and dairy. whole whole whole. the carbs, starches, and sugars can all wait until my cell memories have given them up completely. then i can easily have some without diving back in and going overboard. i am doing 95% strong with local and grassfed. i, of course, have had some restaurant meals that are not on that wagon. but again, i am doing my best. so that is my cleanse...in a protein nutshell.

seasonal eating: i am still not there yet. i have been researching and reading like crazy but i am just not ready. it's easy for me to say that i am doing it now because we are in harvest in New England. but once fall/winter hits, i am honest in knowing that i am just not ready. i have started gathering charts and what not though. starting to wrap my brain around it. and, luckily, i have a partner who loves to cook and loves to cook healthy and loves to try new ways of cooking. i know this fall/winter will be tough but we will do our best. i am guessing it will take years to be a solid seasonal eater.

my difficult times: not drinking wine was tough. i switched to vodka, which i hate. although now i am totally into it. a vodka soda is suprisingly refreshing in the summer. what else was tough? the first week of my cleanse. i felt drained and yucky. but that was just the toxins leaving my system. detox, baby. i felt amazing after that first week. now, i don't even think about those foods. they seem blah to me.

what else?: oh, people asked where i/we shop. well, we have a CSA at Mountain View Farm. doesn't get more local than that! plus, Harlow LOVES picking with us every week. we also get our eggs, milk, and cheese there. we don't have a meat share at this point. we generally buy our local meats at River Valley Coop. but we will be looking into a farm in Soho soon as they have a meat share program. we also checked into a grain share but we're not ready to sign up for that just yet.

that's about it. YUM TO GOOD FOOD!




No comments:

Post a Comment